Tuesday, October 09, 2007

The other white meat

A couple of weekends ago I schlepped to my favorite Vietnamese restaurant for some pho. It was 11:58 a.m.

The doors were shut, the lights closed, but you could see the waiters standing at attention inside.

The sign at the door said they open at noon.

It is now 11:59. And the small "crowd" in front of the restaurant consists of me, a white man carrying a plump baby (with the cutest, fatest feet) and an Asian woman fawning at the child as if it were hers. It was hers.

My frustration over the one minute wait must have been visible because the man with a baby said, "Forgive them, they are very professional."

I responded truthfully, but without thinking, "I am so hungry I could eat your baby."

"Oh my God, I can't believe I said that out loud."

Instead of exhibiting shock, the couple beamed at me. The mother responds, "I know what you mean. I want to eat her up too." And she grabs those useless, but so edible feet.

Apparently, admitting to wanting to consume someone's else's baby is a great ice breaker.

No comments: