Friday, January 25, 2008

I am 87% of the woman I used to be

I've lost about 13% of my body weight since September, and while I'm still shrinking, am not losing any more weight.

Except for a handful of people at the office who are also battling the fight against the bulge, no one has noticed at The Firm. There are over a hundred people here and about 4 have commented on my weight loss.

This led me to think -- people *really* don't notice. I think most people take a mental picture of you at your first meeting, and the picture is soldered in the brain, regardless of whatever you do to change your appearance. At that first meeting, you can be anything -- fat or thin; bald or with hair like Rupunzel's. The mental picture is taken, and everything else (preconceptions, judgments, attributed stereotype behavior) follows.

Everyone thinks I'm overweight (and admittedly, I still am) and regardless of how much weight I lose, people will always think I'm overweight. That's just how the brain works.

Thank goodness I don't care what people think about my appearance.

Then or now.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey, *I* care about your appearance, and I think you look GREAT! Please come to the house on Saturday so you can personally return the compliment =)

Jona said...

Hey Valley Girl,

Thank you *very* much. I am now inspired not to eat anything for a week and be emaciated for Saturday.

Sana I can make it!

J