Sunday, November 09, 2008

More on books

I just finished reading Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist. I thought it was an enjoyable read. Written in the "he said/she said" format, Nick and Norah narrate their respective versions of events that occur on one Saturday evening in lower Manhattan. Thanks for the recommendation, N!

My only problem with this book is that it is being marketed to the "Young Adult" crowd -- the typeset is large, there are drawings between the chapters. However, I think that's a mistake. The book should not be read by kids (i.e. 10-13 year olds), and that's the usual audience of the Young Adult demographic. The book should be read by older teens -- teens in high school, preferably those in senior year. You can't have a book about sex, drugs and alcohol in the hands of a 10 year old. It's just not right.

I think I'm not alone in thinking this. I think everyone knows that kids/teens usually read "one level up" than what they're supposed to be reading and to market this book to teens is to market this book to young teens. I think the themes are just way too advanced for that market.

No comments: