Friday, November 07, 2008

Literary peer pressure

As a general rule, I don't read books that are considered "blockbusters". I don't read what most people do because I think "popular fiction" is generally lousy. For example, I have not read (nor have any intention to read) the Da Vinci Code. I have also not read a single Stephen King novel (although I have read one of his short stories). I stay away from all forms of science fiction and fantasy and every title on Oprah's list of "must-read" books. Yes, I am that kind of (boring) person.

I can recall only 2 books that I have read for the *sole* reason that they were popular and I didn't want to be left out of *all* conversation.



1. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. I read the first Harry Potter book in paperback, after the second one was out. By that time I figured it was not just passing fad. I thought it was a good read for a 12 year old.


2. Eat Pray Love. I grew so tired of hearing about this book, I felt I was nagged by the universe to read it. I thought it was very mediocre. I wouldn't say bad since the author got me reading until the end of the book, but it wasn't inspirational at all. The book is an account of the author's year long trip to Italy, India and Indonesia, how she slays her own demons and becomes a better person. At the end of the book I felt like telling the author, "That was ok. Have a nice life." I did not feel connected to her at all. How did it happen that so many people got hooked on this book?




Then there comes a book that has hype and *is* good. One example is The Time Traveler's Wife. As the title suggests, the book is based on the most incredible of premises -- but it's actually a very enjoyable read. It's a love story told from the perspective of a man and the woman, but in a non-linear fashion because the man is well, you guessed it, a time traveler.

If you haven't read this one, pick it up. It is worth your time.

No comments: