Saturday, November 22, 2008

36 hours in Hong Kong (from someone who lives here)


Here's my attempt at cramming the best of Hong Kong in 3 meals.

Dinner at Hu Tong, drinks at Aqua (both at One Peking Road)

On a clear evening, the view of Hong Kong harbor from the 28th floor of One Peking Road is nothing else but breathtaking. I think Hu Tong captures everything Hong Kong is about in 3,000 square feet. It is frightfully expensive, but everything is beautiful, almost delicate. I would trade my mother for a serving of their crispy lamb (this is just a figure of speech, Mom). Before or after dinner swing by Aqua, with the same fantastic view. Order a lychee martini and enjoy the warm cashew nuts.

Ferry ride from Hong Kong Island to TST (during daytime and night time)

One of the corniest, but one of the funnest things you can do in Hong Kong. I guarantee that the 8 minute ferry ride is the best thing you can buy for HK$2.2 (US$0.30, PhP13).

Shopping at the markets in TST, computer center in Wan Chai, mazes of Causeway Bay, antiques and art at Hollywood Road

Not to sound trite, but Hong Kong is known for its shopping for a reason. I am personally not a shopper, but you don't have to be one to realize that shopping here is world class.

Dimsum at Victoria Sea Food at Citic Tower

I've eaten *a lot* of dimsum since I moved here, and I think the best dimsum is at Maxim's at City Hall. That said, that place is a mad house and you can spend a solid 90 minutes waiting for a table. If you're short on time, I recommend Vitoria Sea Food in Admiralty. Where the view is great and you can make reservations. When in season, order the crab roe dumpling. It will shave about 5 minutes from your life, but it is *so* worth it.

Dinner at Peking Garden or Yung Kee in Central, drinks at Sevva

No trip to China is complete without Peking duck, and Peking Garden does a great duck. If you're more of a goose man, then Yung Kee it is with it's wide menu of Cantonese food. You can't lose either way. But both places *require* reservations.

After dinner I suggest drink(s) at Sevva, at the roof deck of the Prince's building. With house cocktails at US$15 a pop, be prepared to spend or have only one drink.

But the view. My goodness, the view.

No comments: