Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Guilty pleasures

GR. from the Hague just confessed to reading all four Twighlight books.

Aside: For those of you who don't know what the Twighlight series is about (which until last weekend was a subset that included me), the series is about a teen aged vampires. Sort of like Buffy, but with a serious edge (well, at least that's what the author wants you to think). If you don't know who Buffy the Vampire Slayer is, well, I can't help you anymore.

Now since we're in a confessional mood; forgive me Father for I have sinned -- I have read five books by Sophie Kinsella. Three from the Shop-oholic series and two other novels.

Sophie Kinsella writes what most people now call "chic-lit". I'm not too keen on this term, since it is used to describe any form of writing that appeals to women -- even the well-written kind. Kinsella writes what I consider as "true" chic-lit (i.e., pure drivel). Pure drivel I enjoy immensely.

All the Kinsella books I have read follow the same formula -- an unfocused almost scatterbrained woman going through life and winning out in the end. The writing is at best one dimensional (i.e. shallow) and rehearsed (i.e. non-imaginative).

But they are so, so funny.

And so, I buy these books, read them at home, under the covers, so no one can hear me giggle.

3 comments:

Danielle said...

Not a big fan of the Shopaholic series (seriously dislike main character!) but I do like Kinsella's other books, namely Can You Keep A Secret and Undomestic Goddess (protagonist is a lawyer :) )

-Danes
(one of your students from ALS. I bumped into you (twice) when David Sedaris came to the Phil)

Anonymous said...

I had a lot of fun reading Undomestic Goddess. Something about her reminded me of you =b Glad to see you're diversifying into my side of the bookstore/library. To my credit though, I've been straying over to your side.

Jona said...

Danes, thanks for the note. How did you find this godforsaken blog?

R., what have you been reading? After my Christmas inspired reads, will go back to my dorky reading. Next up, Ana Gavalda's Hunting and Gathering.