Monday, November 10, 2008

Laptop as umbrella

I've decided it's time to upgrage my old but sturdy personal laptop.  Like any other responsible shopper, I've been comparing specs and prices; asking friends about their experiences with their own laptops.

Like the time I shopped for a new laptop for work,  all of my friends who use Macs lobbied for one. They all purred and made ooh and aah sounds when describing the whole Apple experience to me.  And while I truly believe them when they say that Mac's are better machines (in the same way I believe people who say they've been cured by the healing power of crystals) none of them could sufficiently explain why I should spend 2.3x more to buy one.

Yes, ladies and gents.  An Apple of certain specs is more than twice as much as an IBM of the same specs.   At least in HK, that is.  

To me a laptop is like an umbrella.  It serves no other purpose other than a utilitarian one.  I don't name my laptops.  I don't have personal relationships with them.  I don't get any pleasure from feeling I am a part of an elite group of knowledgeable people who have "seen the light".  To me laptops are machines that allow me to go on-line, upload pictures, download music and send e-mail.

And if something that costs half as much can do the same job, then that's the one I want.   

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Budget law firm costs less than half as much as The Firm! And can do the same job! Deviate from the hype... come hire us!