Saturday, May 10, 2008

SATC in the City

The first thing I did when I got to New York was to watch Sex and the City, the movie. (No, actually, that's not true. First was to run around in Central Park like a child, and the second was to devour a pizza slice that just got pulled out of the oven. Then I jumped on the train to go slumming in Brooklyn. I walked for hours and hours taking pictures and reminicing on the wonderful year I spent in the City, then I saw the movie.)

The movie was classic Michael Patrick King. He was head writer of the show for 5 of the 6 years it was on. The SATC formula works, and King used the same time tested pattern. Glamorous costumes (because the dresses they wear are just that), non real conflict ("Oh, how am I going to pack 90 pairs of Jimmy Choos? By color, style, or heel?") and smart dialogue. The pacing was a little bit off, but that's because viewers are used to 22 minute episodes instead of a 90 minute stretch.

If you're a fan of the show, go see it. You will not be blown away, but you will not be disappointed.

No comments: