Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Jona the shop-aholic

For someone who lives in what has been called the "shopping capital of the world", I do very badly. Truth is I don't shop in Hong Kong. Well, that's technically not true, but since I moved here I've bought exactly one shirt off the rack. One shirt in 18 months. I think you'll agree that the statement "I don't shop in HK" is hardly an exaggeration.

Two weeks ago I left HK with one small carry-on and returned with that same small carry-on along but also with a larger version of it (new luggage -- yahoo!), full to the brim with all sorts of goodies I bought in the States.

I don't know what happens to me in the 16 hour flight from Asia to the outlet malls on the East Coast. I turn into some grotesque version of myself. The shopping equivalent of Bruce Banner turning into The Hulk. ("Don't get me started shopping... You won't like me when I'm shopping")

I actually bought two dresses. Yes. Dresses.

Maybe it's because there are no "mid-level" brands in HK. It's either Louis Vitton or ukay-ukay. Seriously. It's either $500 for a pair of jeans, or you get two for $10. And then there's the size issue... a "large" in HK is the equivalent of an American size 8. Sometimes a size 10. And considering that I am only sometimes a size 10, shopping in HK can get tricky.

But no worries, I have a suitcase full of clothes that fit.... for now.

No comments: