Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Happiness 2000

I finally finished my super sad book, You Remind Me of Me.

When I get to the last stretch of a book, those last few dozen pages, I start to get this odd sense of excitement, but also this feeling of dread. (Aside: this assumes that the book you are reading is well written and you don't want it to end and/or you can't wait to know the ending. This is the emotion I'm referring to. If the book is a sleeper, well, too bad.)

This morning I got up at half six and with a full hour before the day started, I finished my book. The ending was brilliant (no, I won't give it away). Chaon had a way of introducing his characters slowly, bit by bit, till they were completely "exposed" at the end. Everything came together -- plot, characters, narrative. When I read books this good, I get a little mad, a little jealous. Why don't I have the gift?




Next in line is much happier "Love Walked In" by Marisa de los Santos. This book has "sappy" written all over it. How sappy, you may ask... Well, literally critic Sarah Jessica Parker wrote the blurb at the back. That sappy.

I like how I'm reading these books back to back. They're so different -- one is all about desperation, loneliness and failure, and the other is about new beginnings, falling in love and looking to the future. And I guess that's how life is, there are gloomy chapters and there are happy chapters.

And now, I'm in a happy chapter.

No comments: