Monday, April 28, 2008

Death by/of sausage bun

Everyday on my way to work I pass by a bakery down the street from my flat to buy myself a sausage bun. Everyday until two days ago, that is. I've come to accept that my daily sausage intake was not the most healthy of dietary choices so I decided to cease all further intake of sausage buns. Sigh.

But before I say goodbye to my favorite breakfast treat, let me give it a proper eulogy:

The Chinese sausage bun is a delightful pleasure. The bread enveloping the sausage is sweet enough to be pastry in itself (like a dinner roll) but not too sweet that it seems like a dessert. The sausage is not too big, the size of those pauper "generic" hot dogs you can buy in wet markets in the Philippines -- about 60% the size of a Tender Juicy. It is sufficiently salty such that when one bites into the sweetish bread, the sausage is a welcome change of taste and texture.

I will miss you, my daily sausage bun. Somehow the sesame buns I have now just don't cut it.

No comments: