Friday, August 03, 2007

Home early

The last time I was told to go home because of a storm, I was in law school. It might have happened when I was in the Perm, but that would have been a one off. There are no uniformly applied regulations in the Philippines covering typhoons and when they are considered so strong people at work need to go home.

Come to think of it, there are no uniformly applied regulations in the Philippines at all. (But that's for another post).

So anyway, I'm home early today. Which is great and no one is complaining, but to be honest I thought the People's Republic of China had a better system for letting people go home early from an average work day. Actually I thought there was a system. There isn't any.

What happened was we got this e-mail that said, go home, it's typhoon signal no. 8. And I guess the entire working population of Hong Kong got that same e-mail at the same time, because all at once, people crammed elevators, buses, trains, trams (there was not an available taxi in sight).

Good thing it wasn't raining when this happened. Could you imagine the chaos if it was?

No comments: