Thursday, January 29, 2009

What's the big deal with adolescence?

When I was growing up, there was much ado over adolescence, how it's a difficult stage of one's development. How one will feel lost and confused and because of that will likely become depressed and withdrawn. How it is very important for parents and teachers to be sensitive to an adolescent's issues.

Um, I've been 14 and really, there is no big deal. Really. Move along people, there's nothing to see here.

Around that time I remember growing breasts and realizing I would not be able to play basketball anymore. Which I found sad for a little while, but then I quickly snapped out it. I remember growing hips and needing a new uniform for school, but again, not a life altering issue. Actually, no. It was. Back then everything was a life-altering issue. Will I get that new Trapper Keeper? Will R. be able to tape today's episode of General Hospital? Will Menudo come to the Philippines?!

I don't really understand what the big deal is. All adolescence is is advanced childhood.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

and for photos of EARLY childhood... check out your second0favorite blog.

grabe cute 'no?