Tuesday, January 06, 2009

We don't watch movies like we used to

When I was growing up (i.e. the '80s and early 90's), people actually went to see Oscar nominated movies. Movies like Out of Africa, Tootsie, E.T., The Killing Fields, Witness, Rainman, Working Girl, Driving Miss Daisy. I can go on and on, actually. Silence of the Lambs, A Few Good Men, JFK, Pulp Fiction....

My point is that people used to go see critically acclaimed films as a matter of course. You weren't artsy or pretentious. You just went to the movies.

That's not how it is anymore. Now there are "commercial" movies (films people actually go and see on a regular weekend) and what I'll call "art house" movies (films that get nominated for awards).

I mean, who went to see "No Country for Old Men"? "There Will be Blood" or "Letters from Iwo Jima"? I'm I sure didn't. And I'm guessing you didn't either. Or you saw these movies only *because* they were nominated for awards. That's not how things should be. People should go see good movies not because a few critics say you should. You should go see good movies because you want to see them. Because they entertain. Because they make you feel good.

I think this new pattern of movie going has something to do with "award worthy" movies being released just days before the end of the year. Producers who think their movie has a shot at getting awards now release films over Christmas to maximize press during the crucial time between the end of the year and awards season (that starts in January). This gives regular moviegoers only a week or two to see the year's "outstanding" movies. For the rest of the year, we're stuck with Mama Mia and Batman.

This year you see the same trend -- movies like "Slumdog Millionaire" and "The Reader" getting Oscar buzz. Who has seen these movies? Who has heard of them (other than in the context of "these movies are getting Oscar buzz")? I'll probably see these films myself, but likely out of a sense of "obligation".

I miss the old days -- when I could see good movies on my own. When I didn't need to read Variety to know which ones they were.

No comments: