Sunday, September 21, 2008

Self-learned lessons

Let me preface this post by saying that I wish this guy the best. I really do. This post is not meant to be sarcastic. It is an honest reaction to sloppy thinking and sloppy writing.

-0-

I received a "cold" e-mail today from someone who was looking for a job at The Firm. I do not know said someone and the only thing actually connecting me and him is the fact that we are both Philippine qualified lawyers.

He asked me for any "tips" or "suggestions" that I might give him to help him in his job search. I was afraid I'd put him off if I replied candidly to his note, so I didn't. Instead I thanked him for his interest in The Firm and referred him to The Firm's recruitment officer.

If I could though, this is what I'd tell him --

1. Don't send cold emails. The only thing worse than not looking for a job is sending cold e-mails. That actually hurts your chances. You need to approach people you have real connections with. Sharing the same colored passport with someone is not a valid connection.

However, if you *must* send a cold email, then do your research on this person and try to *make* a connection to your subject.

"My name is X, we went to the same school." or

"My name is X, I think we both know Y."

Again, the whole "we were born in the same archipelago" line does not work.

2. Research
.
Before you write a note to someone you know, read-up on the person's law firm. I'm not talking about breaking-out-the-microfilm research, I'm talking about going to the firm's website and browsing. Don't ask a question that can be easily answered by a five- minute tour of a website.

3. Don't ask stupid questions. This is related to point 2 above, but is meant to apply more generally. Remember when you were in high school and your history teacher said there are no such things as stupid questions? Well, your teacher was wrong. Questions reveal not what you don't know, but what you know. So ask wisely.

4. Don't use the word "clueless". You correctly described your questions to me as clueless. If you thought this was cute and self-deprecating, you are mistaken. "Clueless" is a synonym for stupid.

I feel bad putting this guy in his place, but when I applied to The Firm, I sent only one email -- a note to the recruitment officer. I didn't write anyone I knew (or didn't know) who happened to be working there. I didn't ask stupid questions, I went to the website, I did my homework.

Is that too much to ask of someone else? (See the point I made in no. 3)

No comments: