Wednesday, August 27, 2008

You are what you buy

There was a long queue in the supermarket this afternoon. When that happens, I take the time to examine the groceries the person in front of me has selected and to judge/size-up that person accordingly.

You see, I think the groceries make the man/woman. The couple in front of me bought six kinds of vegetables. Like they were going to make chopsuey, but with the wrong set of vegetables. They bought a head a broccoli, a green pepper, a potato, a carrot. They were either making a bizarre version of chopsuey or buying stuff for their daughter’s science project.

They also bought brown “healthy” (i.e. icky) bread. And brought a reusable grocery bag. Conclusion – healthy tree huggers.

Meanwhile, I purchased the following:
  • three pieces of chilled Australian lamb chops
  • chopped mushrooms marked down because it was about to go bad
  • potato chips
  • lemonade
  • one can of soup
You see, with this suite of products I want the guy standing behind me in line to say – this lady in front of me cooks. But when she’s in a bind she eats… crap. She must be very busy and have a very important job. Surely she is compassionate and kind. And well-read.

No comments: