Monday, February 04, 2008

The Sentimental Reader

One of my (oh so many) quirks is that I can't start a new book without finishing the one I'm currently reading.

As you can imagine, this policy can get highly annoying sometimes. Because every so often I get stuck.

Recently I was stuck reading "Dog Fight" by this fellow called Michael Knight. The collection of short stories was strong as a whole, and I recommend the book to the six people left on this planet who enjoy reading stories, but I got caught in of the low points of a story I couldn't relate to and got stuck.

For six weeks.

But over the weekend I promised myself I'd get out of my reading rut and I did. I finished Dog Fight and am now on to Dan Chaon's "You Remind Me of Me". Hopefully it will take me less than six weeks to get through it.

Sometimes people ask what kind of books I read. Well, I read anything, really, though in the last few years I have preferred younger authors talking about 30 something angst (oh, what a stretch for me). I don't think I'm a serious reader since I can go for weeks, sometimes even months at a time without reading anything, but I'd like to think I am a "sentimental" reader.

Someone who reads to reflect, to think. To pause.

No comments: