Monday, February 11, 2008

"No, I'm not watching a parade"

This is what I had to say about a dozen times when I told people that I was going to watch The Police in Macau.

Apparently, most people in Hong Kong do not know who or what The Police are and assumed I am schlepping to the neighboring S.A.R. to watch a parade or a performance of a chorale of peace officers.

So I try to explain who The Police are... "You know, Sting?"

I get a blank stare.

This got me thinking. The Chinese probably think the Beatles are insects. Poor John Lennon. Guess he wasn't as popular as he thought he was.

==============

P.S. The concert was magnificent. It was everything I had hoped for.

1 comment:

Quien said...

Aha! It must be genetic, then.

Am I now forgiven for remarking 12 years ago that, "The Police sounds like Sting, no?"

Ah, the Efren Duran days...