Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Raining and getting wet are two different things

So it was drizzling this morning. And as I was walking in the drizzle with my head down and the collars of my raincoat turned up (I forgot my umbrella) I thought about how it is at home, where rain has nothing to do with getting wet.

On rainy days (just like sunny days) I'd drive my car to work and park in the basement of my office building. I'd take the elevator to the 9th floor and voila, I'm at work. My feet never touch wet pavement. If it rained it took as long as 90 minutes to get to work with the traffic, but I was dry.

Now getting to work (door to door) takes 20 minutes. But there is some walking involved. So there is a chance I will get soaked if the rain suddenly poured. It is a fact of life that umbrellas are only useful for drizzles.

When you're walking in the rain you get to thinking -- maybe 90 minutes of traffic isn't so bad.

No comments: