Wednesday, October 15, 2008

I'm reading a story book!

I stopped reading story books (i.e., plot driven books) ages ago. I found them to be very entertaining, but somehow lacking in substance. Sort of like what Reader's Digest is in the magazine writing world.

Also, I thought these books did not challenge me intellectually. There were no mental push-ups nor was there a need for emotional introspection. Guy jumps out of plane, unto a moving train; a girl climbs a tree, swims in a lake. Everything was laid out in front of you. There was nothing for you to figure out yourself.

But somehow, I've found myself reading the story books of story books (i.e., it's a plot driven book about a plot-driven book). It's called The Shadow of the Wind by this author named Carlos Zafon (translated from the original Spanish by Lucia Graves).

The writing is surprisingly very good and the story is developed quickly but not hurriedly. This guy Zafon knows his stuff.

This book is a terrific read. Old fashioned story telling at its best; no mental acrobatics required.

No comments: