Thursday, June 05, 2008

What's so great about being a vegetarian?

I work with a lot of white people, and I have discovered that for white people being a vegetarian is a badge of honor and is something to be worked into every single conversation white people have.

"My name is John Smith and I am a vegetarian."

I never understood this. I really don't see what the big deal is. To me being a vegetarian is similar to liking blue cars. It is entirely a matter of choice. So if one does decide to become a vegetarian, well then that's like buying a new car. Congratulations! But after about 3 months the car starts to get old and so does news of your not eating meat, fish or poultry.

Six months later no one cares.

But that doesn't stop vegetarians. Six months later, 1, 2, 20 years later --

"My name is John Smith and I am a vegetarian."

I don't get it.

It's not a big deal, people.

Get over yourselves.

No comments: