Monday, June 16, 2008

Regular Exercise

People dislike regular exercise for many reasons. It's boring, it takes up too much of your time. You feel tired afterwards. You need to wear silly outfits, gym membership costs too much. Et cetera, et cetera.

Well, here's my reason -- exercise can't be saved.

The benefits of exercise cannot be stored. You can't save an-hour long run today for some random day in the future when you want to pig out on a caramel panacotta.

Even if you go to the gym everyday for six straight months, two months of no gym and voila -- you're back to where you where before.

Exercise is fun. I like how my pulse races after a 20 minute run. I find stretching my muscles by getting into the most unnatural poses satisfying. I enjoy the sensation of over-worked arms and legs.

But I hate that I need to go to the gym three times a week to avoid gaining the weight back. Why can't I be good for 6 weeks at a time, then get a 6 week hiatus.

You know what I hate about regular exercise?

The regular part of it.

No comments: