Saturday, June 28, 2008

Not all cheese curls are made equal

Back in high school I was a big fan of Planter's Cheese Curls. (Well, maybe not as big a fan as K.) They were packaged in tube like containers with yellow lids. I couldn't find a cheese curls container, but here's one for Planter's Cheese Balls.



I remember how chowing down on Planter'sCheeseCurls (pronounced as if it were one word) would cause your fingers and tongue to turn yellow. How one tin can was just right for one person (i.e. sharing kept to a minimum).

Now while I loooved Planter's Cheese Curls, I actually did not notice that they were discontinued by the Planters corporation a few years ago. I did a little research on-line and apparently Planters decided to axe cheese curls and cheese balls from their production line in 2006. Maybe I didn't notice because I was too busy eating Cheetos.


Now while I loved Planter'sCheeseCurls, I ADORE Cheetos. To paraphrase P., Cheetos are the best! But the sad fact is, Cheetos are hard to come by in China. You can only buy them at the high end supermarkets that cater to expats (HK's equivalent of the PX store).

Yesterday while grocery shopping with C., I mindlessly picked up a can of Planter'sCheeseCurls (yes, they're baaack!). I get home open up a can, dig in, and... blah. It wasn't at all how I remembered it. The curls were not cheesy enough, they were not crunchy enough. They were like Planter'sCheeseCurls on anti-depressants.

I guess the cliche is true -- some cheese curls are made better than others.

No comments: