Wednesday, December 31, 2008

New Year's Eve


New Year's Eve is probably my favorite holiday. I say this because even now I still feel it's a special event. I used to go gaga over Christmas, but then I realized there was no Santa and real Christmas trees aren't plastic and half the world didn't celebrate it. And while my level of excitement over the last day of the year has been steadily decreasing with age, I still get that New Year's Eve buzz.

To A. in London who is probably the only person who reads this blog who has no concept of New Year's Eve in Manila -- the city is like a war zone, with people randomly lighting dynamite- like firecrackers, missile- like fireworks. In a place where the minimum wage is US$5/day, some people are known to spend upwards of US$1,000 on fireworks and firecrackers on one evening. The sky is lit, the air thick with smoke. Muted explosions from far away sound like gun fire, explosions from across the street make your car alarm go off, everything contributing to the night's bedlam.

It is chaos and I love it.

Happy New Year everyone, happy new year!

No comments: